Monday, January 31, 2011

Cauliflower Gratin lightened up!

I am a huge fan of cauliflower, it's a versatile and filling winter vegetable.  I saw this recipe in December's Bon Appetit and was intrigued by the cornbread topping as I had just made some cornbread last week and had put the leftovers in the freezer.  However, to lighten it up I sauteed the shallots ( I used vidalia onion) in a spray of olive oil instead of the butter.  I substituted whole milk for the heavy cream and used Land of Lakes light butter (comes in a tub with canola oil) for the cornbread topping.  I used 3 cups of cauliflower for 2 people, about half a head. It's delicious!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cauliflower-Gratin-with-Mustard-Sage-Cornbread-Crumbs-362309

I served it as a side dish with Mediterranean style Tilapia and side salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette topped with toasted pecans, dried cranberries and Brie.  The colors were a little too similar and I would have sprinkled the fish with some chopped parsley if I had some!

For 2 Tilapia filets, I chopped 2 plum tomatoes and sauteed them with a chopped shallot and 2 minced garlic cloves, set that aside and added some chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil and a spoonful of capers.  Brush olive oil on the fish, season with lemon juice, salt and pepper and saute in a hot sillet for a few minutes each side.  Add a splash of white wine and the tomato mixture and top each filet with a little black olive tapenade (from a jar).   Easy and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment